FOXX 40M Transceiver

Homebrew equipment discussion, show off your projects.
G0DJA

FOXX 40M Transceiver

Unread post by G0DJA »

This is a low power CW transceiver that I made some years ago. It's a FOXX circuit that first appeared in the G-QRP Club magazine "Sprat". It's a simple Direct Conversion (DC) receiver and 7MHz crystal oscillator transmitter, where the crystal oscillator also doubles as part of the receiver circuit.

If you look to the right hand end of the board, there's a two pin connector for the power input, but I've lost (sorry, temporarily misplaced) the cable and connector that fits. I do have a couple of 2 pin connectors that would fit, but they are the wrong way round, red would be on the negative pin and black on the positive, and I know that I would forget and connect it the wrong way round if I used them. So, either I find the right plug and cable, or I cut back the red and black wires on the 'wrong' type and solder a length of red wire to the black tail and black wire to the red tail, so that I don't get it wrong...

The tin is an Altoids mints tin.

(For some reason, the picture is the right way round in the post, that is the lid is at the top and the connector is on the right, but if I click on the image to enlarge it, it comes out upside down!)
IMG_0066[1].JPG
IMG_0069[1].JPG
Cheers - Dave (G0DJA)
VK5TM

Re: FOXX 40M Transceiver

Unread post by VK5TM »

No need to cut and solder wires.

Gently press down on the silver tag showing on the back (opposite side to locator "wings") of the plug with a fine tipped screwdriver and remove the wire by sliding out.

Replace wires in correct place by gently pushing in.

You should be able to accomplish that much faster than it is going to take for the soldering iron to warm up. :)
G0DJA

Unread post by G0DJA »

Thanks for the suggestion Terry,

Unfortunately it didn't work. I managed to push out the wire but the pins stayed in the plug.
Cheers - Dave (G0DJA)
G0DJA

Unread post by G0DJA »

I think what happened was that the thin screwdriver blade went up the inside of the pin and pushed the wire out without moving the pin. If I'd tried a wider blade it wouldn't have fitted into the hole.
IMG_0100[1].JPG
Cheers - Dave (G0DJA)
VK5TM

Unread post by VK5TM »

Well, that was s fizzer, actually, somewhat surprised as they normally slide out extremely easily once the locating tab is released.

Looking at the ends of those wires, looks like they weren't securely fitted to the pins either.
G0DJA

Unread post by G0DJA »

I rediscovered the missing lead. It's much better quality than the cheap PC type leads and I had even put a fuse in the positive lead!

Just need to connect an antenna and fire it up again.
Cheers - Dave (G0DJA)