122GHz for all!

Microwave and up topics.
VK5TM

122GHz for all!

Unread post by VK5TM »

Cross posted from https://ahrdf.net/forum/thread-864.html in case it has been missed at the UK end.

Terry VK5TM

Hi all,

By now many of you have received your DUBUS magazine and had a read of the 122GHz transverter project by Andrew, VK3CV.

For those of you who went to Gippstech you will recognize the transverter as the one that was on display, pictures of which I took and have saved here...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8oi3HrveRXs7ZoSX8

That includes a scan of the summary document that was handed out at the conference.

Andrew has kindly put all the articles, documentation, schematics, etc. of this project on the net and made it all available from his dropbox here...

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/32iznukohqnpj...tHEGa?dl=0

For those of you who do not subscribe to DUBUS, the published article is this document...

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/32iznukohqnpj...9.pdf?dl=0

In the month or so since Gippstech I've been gathering quotes from various manufacturers to build the transverter PCB to a complete working state including Xray board testing, code load to PIC and functional tests at power-on that meets my test plan so that the units would be delivered to me supposedly working.

I've spoken with at least 3 manufacturers and created specific bill-of-materials for each to utilize their in-house supply chains for lowest possible component cost. I'm currently in discussions with another to get a competitive quote from them as well. Likewise for the feed horn assembly. Machining costs vary markedly across those I've already asked.

The indicative cost estimates are based on a quantity of 10 since that's the minimum order level for all of them. The more orders we get the cheaper it becomes. Machining costs for the horns drop by nearly a factor of 100 if I order 1000, but I think that number is a bit of wishful thinking at this stage. One can only hope

Indicative pricing in $USD is and it has to be because that's what all the manufacturers deal in.

Complete assembled and tested PCB : $204 USD

Chaparral style feed horn and coupler : $72 USD

Conical Horn $110 USD

None of these $ values include shipping to you.

I haven't got a specific quote for "board only" since I figured most people would want a built-and-tested board and to not have to worry about soldering 0603 size SMD parts and expensive IC's.

That being said I've already had enquirers from the UK for boards only. So if someone wants a board only, I'll can take note and ask for a quote when I get sufficient numbers.

so... have a good read of the article since there is still some construction to do with putting the PCB to work and if you decide you want one or two or more, please drop me an email and I'll add you to the list.

After a month to let the stragglers catch up, I'll ask the manufacturers for an updated quote with the numbers I get and report back the $ amount we will actually be up for.

Build & test times for the manufacturers are typically 6 to 8 weeks including shipping once an order is placed.

So... who wants to go play on 122GHz ?

regards

Tim VK2XAX
G0DJA

Re: 122GHz for all!

Unread post by G0DJA »

Thanks for the information, Terry,

Unfortunately the Dropbox links don't work for me.

Cheers - Dave (G0DJA)
Cheers - Dave (G0DJA)
G0DJA

Unread post by G0DJA »

I found a way round it. I went to the forum link and downloaded the dropbox files from their links.
Cheers - Dave (G0DJA)
VK5TM

Unread post by VK5TM »

I'll add a footnote:

You need to go to the original forum posting to get the files from Dropbox as per Dave's (above) experience.

Probably because I did a cut and paste and the Dropbox links didn't copy properly.
M0XXQ

Unread post by M0XXQ »

122GHz, that is high!
I wonder when we will see the first 122GHz EME experiments, VK7HH has had reasonable success with10GHz EME tests.

Cheers

Rob.
G0DJA

Unread post by G0DJA »

One of the challenges at 122GHz is that any moisture will attenuate the signal and, if the signal has to get through the atmosphere on the send and receive path, that's twice the problem to overcome.
Cheers - Dave (G0DJA)