Wat has happened to HF in the last 5 years ?

HF Related topics.
VK5TM

Re: Wat has happened to HF in the last 5 years ?

Unread post by VK5TM »

When the sun wakes up, although predictions are that it won't be as good as last season (or the one before and so on and on and.....).

So don't expect much for the next few years.
M0XXQ

Unread post by M0XXQ »

Low band DX has always been a Unicorn for me, restricted space means the only Top Band antenna system I can get in along the lines of a loaded inverted-L, which I no longer have due to antenna restrictions at the QTH, however I have toyed with the idea for a Magnetic Loop antenna for 160/80M, perfectly doable with a little effort.
M0HJO

Unread post by M0HJO »

Well last night the bands looked pretty dead, 80M & 40M was not much about at all.

Just about to switch off, then on 40M up pops Kuwait!

So, you never know!!
Glad to be Here.
RNARS
RSGB
VK5TM

Unread post by VK5TM »

Plus people look at the propagation predictions which say the bands are dead - and they believe them.

Geez people, they're predictions, not actual fact.
G0DJA

Unread post by G0DJA »

I keep meaning to have another go on HF. I really need to improve the antenna system though. The one HF antenna I have up is a doublet, but it's a bit short having once been a trapped dipole, but I took the traps out because one of them failed as I'd not water proofed them sufficiently.

I could put up more wire, but need to get the ladders out to get to the centre point 1st.
Cheers - Dave (G0DJA)
M0VMT

Unread post by M0VMT »

I'm still getting results on HF and I never bother looking at any internet predictions before switching on I and spinning the vfo, of course their are times when I check hf and maybe call cq and after 20 mins maybe switch to ft8, their is always activity on ft8 but more than 30mins and I'm bored with ft8.
I also cruise around local vhf traffic or even wires x when hf is quiet.
I do use reverse beacon and clusters occasionally but not until I've checked with a radio first, it's a bit synthetic to use the net before stepping in the shack and switching on in my opinion.
M0VMT Mark
Doncaster
RSARS
Happy to be here :D