Mag Loop

General discussion topics, anything goes within the bounds of the forum rules.
2E0SOF silent key

Mag Loop

Unread post by 2E0SOF silent key »

I have been making a bigger HF Magnetic Loop dia on this one if 4 feet. made from 15mm copper. just need a stiff broomstick or curtain pole or some thing to strengthen it and the cap to make. will post pics later of so far progress. etc. Its a little bit bigger than the others I have made. :shock:
IN RADIO YOU HAVE TWO TOOLS - SOUND AND SILENCE.
2E0SOF silent key

Re: Mag Loop

20120119_043833.jpg
G0DJA

Unread post by G0DJA »

I'm considering making up a loop using some old lengths of coaxial cable, the thicker stuff usually used on 2M or 70cm by people who want to reduce losses on those bands. However, they've been sat in my garage for ages so am not going to trust them on VHF/UHF so ideal candidates for messing about making antennas.

I'll have to look up the design calculations for various diameters and frequencies. I'm guessing that one of the more difficult to find items will be capacitors able to cope with high voltages? I see you are designing and making your own. Not sure I've got the facilities to do that here though.

I did have a strange idea of using a length of LDF5-50 and a large capacitor to see what frequency it would resonate on, but then realized that the connectors to the loop and the capacitor would need to be able to pass some quite hefty currents as well as the high voltage that will be developed across the capacitor.
Cheers - Dave (G0DJA)
2E0SOF silent key

Ok Dave,
I will let you know the dia I use that tunes 20m to 10m I got the cap plates from someone on facebook .. I use 4 spinners if I remember right for 10 to 20. I also made a cap out of body spray cans ally ones .. once empty let all the air out and drilled a small hole in the base of the cans then cut the tops off. then used plastic tubing for insulation for the smaller cans to slide in. that worked very well and took 100w no problem.