Recap on 2018 and new toys.

General discussion topics, anything goes within the bounds of the forum rules.
M0VMT

Recap on 2018 and new toys.

Unread post by M0VMT »

Well for me 2018 radio wise has been ok nothing much has changed with me other than I have started to go portable again and can't wait for the sun so I can get some backpacking in.
FT8 had been all the rage but not for me and I am not knocking it all these add ons benefit the hobby wether you embrace them or not in my opinion.
I haven't seen much of a push in the digital voice modes this year but still seems those that use them like me still enjoy it be it internet based coms and it's nice and easy to to talk to a fellow op thousands of miles away when HF is poor.
HF has not been on fire but still workable for inter G and DX you have just had to adjust to what openings were available.
I am sorry to report this year I have not been active on 50mhz like the previous year and I have missed most openings because of work commitments, 6 metres is a great band and DX can bring a smile on most faces.
Network radio has got onboard and to be honest this is one thing I can't embrace and whilst using a hotspot or repeater may be considered the same it isn't at least RF is used along the way with a repeater or hotspot. I really can't see the point when a phone or pc will do the same and I personally think it's detrimental to the hobby and any further self learning.
I have seen people disappear from analogue for this network radio which baffles me, that's my only rant in this thread which is rather good for me.
Well that's my quick recap of the year please feel free to add or moot through the above.
Have you bought any new equipment this Christmas, I was trawling through the UKs suppliers and going hmmm hmmm and bought nothing.
I think a new antenna or antennas are something for me later.
The forum is going good and I thank you all for joining we just need you guys to talk about radio or whatever you feel like debating about as anything goes.
The bottle of Dalmore 18 will get opened tomorrow and I shall be kicking back and happy we all survived another year be us a few days off....Hang in there lads.
M0VMT Mark
Doncaster
RSARS
Happy to be here :D