Idiots on 2 metres FM

General discussion topics, anything goes within the bounds of the forum rules.
M0VMT

Idiots on 2 metres FM

Unread post by M0VMT »

Since operating on 145mhz FM on Friday to Monday on 3 different occasions we have had idiots keying up and swearing, it's getting that bad the old timers have gone Dmr.
This is one of the big reasons many have left analogue, the bands are not getting the attention they deserve from ofcom.
I for one will be ceasing FM VHF for good if it continues and it's bad when a operator feels this way.
The advise from the UK authorities is not to engage these idiots and basically disappear, I have not heard of any prosecutions for years and feel amateur radio in the UK is slowly sliding into a free for all.
A new unit is being formed here in the UK here is a link
https://rsgb.org/main/blog/news/rsgb-no ... vice-aros/

I fear it will be a tiger with no bite, just what we had with aros.
Here in the UK we no longer pay for our license which in my opinion hasn't helped UK amateur radio as ofcom have nothing to answer to.
Also these cheap handhelds from China have not only flooded our market they've ended up in the wrong hands.
With no real force to monitor and bring idiots to task our bands are open to abuse and I for one will not tolerate this behaviour.
What I've heard the last few days reminded me of CB radio on heat.
Something needs to happen or my VHF analogue will be sold off forever and I'm not very hopeful.
M0VMT Mark
Doncaster
RSARS
Happy to be here :D
M0XXQ

Re: Idiots on 2 metres FM

Unread post by M0XXQ »

It is a terrible thing to happen Mark and nothing will be done about it unless people take the law into their owns hands.
The one thing we can do is focus on SSB, it is much more difficult for the muppets to get access to, short of designing a DF station and installing into a second hand van touring the country looking for these bastards I am not sure what else to suggest mate.
M0VMT

Unread post by M0VMT »

Rob like you I take radio operating serious otherwise I would have stayed a mud ducker, nothing would give me more pleasure than sticking a pin in their coax if you can find them.
I don't mean to be negative but I see things analogue FM around her ceasing at my QTH mate and I'm considering using the space on the mast for a HF vertical that will give me less heart ache :D
M0VMT Mark
Doncaster
RSARS
M0BVL(Silent Key)

Unread post by M0BVL(Silent Key) »

Do some dfing then smash there gear up ,not hard to do mark :o
It's not broke yet ! ...just give me a minute.
sidspop

Unread post by sidspop »

Until the sale of Bumfengs and such is stopped, it will continue. But you cannot regulate a completely open market.
Ofcom will not give a flying. They get no revenue from the amateur service, so any job they do they are running at a loss. I have only once heard of Ofcom sorting out a case for an amateur, which was me.
2E0SOF silent key

Unread post by 2E0SOF silent key »

I dont bother with 2m no more its gone untill ofcom do something about this crap !
I use the Zello platform with a Network radio for local and UK contacts, reason is this - its Comms with no Idiots music languege and the rest is none existant, the Channels I use are all moderated and any sign of this they are banned in an istant. I know its not what they call real radio but - it is still comms and able to qso and talk about subjects just the same as on vhf. I still have my VHF/UHF gear but at this time it is beyond useless.. just my say ;)
IN RADIO YOU HAVE TWO TOOLS - SOUND AND SILENCE.
G0JUR

Unread post by G0JUR »

I can see the attraction of "network radio" for some but its not for me but each to their own. ;)
One thing though, leaving 2m to the tossers means they have won, having said that i have seldom used 2m FM unless its to talk to locals or family I find the SSB/CW section far more interesting, must get round to putting the tower back up...
M0VMT

Unread post by M0VMT »

It's an epidemic Neill around these parts, and Wayne I was on last night and the same fool has been ripping into the oldies again.
If I find this idiot he's going to wish he was never was never born.
M0VMT Mark
Doncaster
RSARS
M0DPX

Unread post by M0DPX »

M0VMT wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:34 pm Since operating on 145mhz FM on Friday to Monday on 3 different occasions we have had idiots keying up and swearing, it's getting that bad the old timers have gone Dmr.
This is one of the big reasons many have left analogue, the bands are not getting the attention they deserve from ofcom.
I for one will be ceasing FM VHF for good if it continues and it's bad when a operator feels this way.
The advise from the UK authorities is not to engage these idiots and basically disappear, I have not heard of any prosecutions for years and feel amateur radio in the UK is slowly sliding into a free for all.
A new unit is being formed here in the UK here is a link
https://rsgb.org/main/blog/news/rsgb-no ... vice-aros/

I fear it will be a tiger with no bite, just what we had with aros.
Here in the UK we no longer pay for our license which in my opinion hasn't helped UK amateur radio as ofcom have nothing to answer to.
Also these cheap handhelds from China have not only flooded our market they've ended up in the wrong hands.
With no real force to monitor and bring idiots to task our bands are open to abuse and I for one will not tolerate this behaviour.
What I've heard the last few days reminded me of CB radio on heat.
Something needs to happen or my VHF analogue will be sold off forever and I'm not very hopeful.
Hi mark ive just come across this post so sorry if my reply is a tad late. Mark i have to agree with everything you say mate, i only ever use 2mtr fm if i have to because it is near as damn it a copy of 27mhz, what with the dead keyers/ the mic scratchers and so on. And it has spread over to the SSB side now. So like yourself i for 1 have called it a draw on 2mtr ssb, i am done with it. And as for the O A S we dont need advice we need ACTION.
"Illigitimi non carborundum"