Online Full ham radio exams now available

Latest radio related news and updates from contesting to DXpeditions, rallies and events.
M3PIE

Online Full ham radio exams now available

Unread post by M3PIE »

From Thursday, Sept 24, the RSGB are allowing Full amateur radio online exams to be booked. All 3 levels of exam required to get a HAREC certificate can now be done completely online

Potentially this could mean amateurs in other countries could take the RSGB online exams, get their HAREC certificate and then apply for an amateur licence in their own country. This would be beneficial in those countries where provision of local exams is virtually non-existent.
The is now a new FB group for anyone studying for the full licence.
Come and join us if you're wishing to learn, or can help us learn.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/fullradiolicense

Currently there is a 4-5 week backlog for amateur radio exams, the next available exam slots that can be booked are at the end of October.

You can book online UK amateur radio exams at
http://www.rsgb.org/exampay
Last edited by M3PIE on Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M0VMT

Re: Online Full ham radio exams now available

Unread post by M0VMT »

That's it now the final nail in the coffin isn't it for clubs that benefit from training courses, it doesn't bother in the slightest so I don't know why I'm even giving it a second thought.
The M0 should have been the first and only one online in my opinion because no practicals are involved.
On a plus more their is no excuse not to progress to a full callsign now, that old chestnut of it's a 150 mile round trip to study or go take the exam just won't wash anymore 😁
Only the cat needs 24/7 care or I have a phobia of PC screens will suffice.
M0VMT Mark
Doncaster
RSARS
Happy to be here :D
M3PIE

Unread post by M3PIE »

Agreed Mark, the old travel and no local club running courses and exams had finished now.
Alos another nial in the coffin for some local clubs, as less with be signing up as members and sitting round in groups. and clubs doing no activites will be the worse hit.
This hobby is changing day by day. and some cases not for the better.
Mark.
MM0TFU

Unread post by MM0TFU »

M0VMT wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:09 pm The M0 should have been the first and only one online in my opinion because no practicals are involved.
I said this from the outset Mark. The Intermediate licencees should have been the first in line to benefit, as they have already taken the first two steps and have shown a degree of commitment to the hobby.

I'll be absolutely honest, I didn't see a great need to rush into online exams with remote invigilation with the break-neck recklessness displayed by the RSGB, and without ANY prior consultation with the Society membership. Lockdown started in March and by early April we were already seeing hundreds of new licences being issued. I still don't understand the reasons for their haste, other than the obvious coffer-filling operation it has proved to be. While loads of other businesses, organisations and charities were (and still are) suffering as a result of Covid-19, by opening the flood gates to all and sundry, the RSGB are having a bumper year.

Anyway, I have no more shits to give as far as the RSGB, exams and licensing issues are concerned. They've made such a mess of it all that I no longer care what they do. I remain a member of the RSGB only because our little VHF Contesting 'club' is not affiliated and therefore to take part in the major contests all operators must be members. When we decide to stop doing that, then my membership will be terminated. Permanently.
Cheers,
Iain.

Illegitimi non carborundum
M0VMT

Unread post by M0VMT »

I'm glad I stopped my membership before all this brainless scheme took off Iain, I don't think the hobby got the injection it needed.
Time will tell I guess :D
M0VMT Mark
Doncaster
RSARS
M0HJO

Unread post by M0HJO »

MM0TFU wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:15 am
M0VMT wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:09 pm The M0 should have been the first and only one online in my opinion because no practicals are involved.
I said this from the outset Mark. The Intermediate licencees should have been the first in line to benefit, as they have already taken the first two steps and have shown a degree of commitment to the hobby.

I'll be absolutely honest, I didn't see a great need to rush into online exams with remote invigilation with the break-neck recklessness displayed by the RSGB, and without ANY prior consultation with the Society membership. Lockdown started in March and by early April we were already seeing hundreds of new licences being issued. I still don't understand the reasons for their haste, other than the obvious coffer-filling operation it has proved to be. While loads of other businesses, organisations and charities were (and still are) suffering as a result of Covid-19, by opening the flood gates to all and sundry, the RSGB are having a bumper year.

Anyway, I have no more shits to give as far as the RSGB, exams and licensing issues are concerned. They've made such a mess of it all that I no longer care what they do. I remain a member of the RSGB only because our little VHF Contesting 'club' is not affiliated and therefore to take part in the major contests all operators must be members. When we decide to stop doing that, then my membership will be terminated. Permanently.
I said exactly the same and fully agree with your comments!
(I'm even an RSGB member for the same reason as you!!)

I got knocked back for saying it on another RSGB loving forum lol
Glad to be Here.
RNARS
RSGB
M3PIE

Unread post by M3PIE »

Was it worth all the hard night schooling and sweating over the exam years ago. Now with the state of things?
To me yes because i still enjoy talking to different people on various subjects. and messing around with the odd antenna.
But i am afraid of what it might become!!!!!
Mark.
M0VMT

Unread post by M0VMT »

It's not a might Mark it is simply IT IS now.
M0VMT Mark
Doncaster
RSARS